Thursday 16 July 2015

where else is safe?

Someone please tell me where
else is safe. Free me
from the turbulence
rocking earth's boat.
Should I fade into mars?
I hear it is now habitable.
Should I run into thin spaces
in my damaged television?
I dare not, for
a newscaster would again slip out
to speak and spit bombs and bullets
of Syria, of Iraq, of Egypt, of Yemen...
Of war torn zones
reminding me of Rekya, my sister.
She sat there, that afternoon
folded like leaves wrapped by
ants and fear, 
listening to a familiar song,
a defiant anthem composed
by the war upon us-
of shrapnel drumming on rooftops,
shredding a part of us
in bits, teething & milking us dry
of tears, borrowed from the sea
in our eyes.
Rekya is now dust and memory
in a glass, framed in my heart.
Home is no more home
no more a garden like Eden...
Home is now a grave
with bloodseeds sprouting from the war

No comments:

Post a Comment